Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Breast Feeding


Man is it tough! You women out there that have an easy time with this have no idea how lucky you are. After we got home from the hospital Leyton was on the formula since my milk hadn't come in. I pumped diligently every day to try to get it to come in and oh what a pain in the ass that is. Every two hours for 20 minutes on top of all the other shit I have to do?! Seriously that formula can was looking better and better everyday. I kept pumping though. Yesterday I decided to try and get Leyton to latch on and you know what? He did. I only gave him one formula bottle and the rest was direct from the cow....the cow being me of course.

Today we went to a lactation consultant in the morning to see how much he was getting in a feeding and to make sure we were on track. Leyton has put weight back on, and was deemed a good eater and latcher. He got enough in the feeding this morning but the real question is whether or not my milk is producing enough during the day. By late this evening and the hunger cries that ensued it became clear that mom doesn't have enough milk yet. Leyton has been feeding every two hours but I think many of those times the well was dry. So, he got a formula bottle a bit ago and now is out like a light. Ugh, it's so frustrating.

For now I'm going to keep with the breast and just give a formula feeding when he seems really frustrated and hungry. I'm hoping this cow will increase in production because as they say "supply is demand" or some b.s. like that. I'm taking herbs, I'm drinking Guinness and damn it...my nipples are sore. There I said it! If I have to throw in the towel and switch to formula I'm not going to beat myself up. It just would be nice if this all worked out!!

4 comments:

JaymiPop said...

No sweat girl, just see what happens.

I didn't breastfeed. My damned boobies just couldn't handle the pain.

Oh the horror! And Audrey seems to be just fine.

dirtdonthurtmom said...

If you do what is best for you, you will be doing what is best for that baby.

Lactation Cookies. These are so delicious. SO DELICIOUS!

They have helped many a low supply mother:)Good for daddies and guests too.

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
1 cup or more chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)


Preheat oven at 375° degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store.
*NOTE* IT MUST BE BREWERS YEAST, NO SUBSTITUTIONS

Pink Petunia Designs said...

Hang in there sister. I had the exact same prob with both of mine. Really wanted too, but damn, just couldn't hack it. Had the lactation consultants and everything. Put mine on formula and guess what, I wasn't a psycho, sleepless bitch anymore because they were satisfied and sleeping. You are doing a great job. Do whatever you feel is right for you and little man. Whatever it is, it will be great.

Sarah Duffy said...

Again, the most un-natural, natural thing in the WORLD. But you're doing great. Hang in there for as long as your sanity allows. Honestly you're super lucky that he's willing to switch back and forth. That's great! You're both doing awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails