Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Happy Anniversary

When we first met I was 22 years old. You were the funny guy at work, the one to go to when you needed help because you always helped. We talked in the parking lot and I think you had a crush on me because I had my Dad's Bronco and there was a fishing pole in the back. I knew I liked you when I saw you in Old Sacramento and felt my stomach fall. I thought you would never like me because I was a crazy girl with tattoos and a tongue piercing. That night, I found out you liked me back. I knew I loved you and wanted to marry you right away.

We moved in together very soon. I'm not sure either of us were really ready, but we both needed roommates and figured what the heck. I never wanted you to move out, I knew that you were home.

We listened to the world tell us how we should be married already. If we had a dollar for every time someone asked us about it or placed bets on when it would happen...we would be rich. I never needed you to marry me. You wanting to wake up in bed with me every morning meant more than any ring ever could. Eight years later, while I was in my pajamas, you gave me the most beautiful ring I have ever seen.

Three years ago today, we got married outside of a barn. Our wedding party wore jeans and we greeted all our guests before the ceremony even happened. Some people thought we were crazy, but left knowing they had just been to the party of the year. I knew that day that waiting eight years for someone like you is like blinking your eyes and I would wait countless years more. Some people are never lucky enough to find what we have found. Now we have a beautiful son and I know that I have everything I need.

We have been together for 12 years. I was 22 then, I am 34 now. I've loved you young, I've loved you older and all of the stages that have happened in between. When Vanessa told me to "go to Bill Ball if you have any questions, he is the greatest and will help you with anything" she had no idea how much that would ring true in my life.

I love you, Happy Three Year Anniversary.

1 comment:

Carol Browne said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! What a lovely story. Also, jeans at your wedding? GENIUS!

Have a happy, happy day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails