Thursday, October 28, 2010

You're too old for that!

I can't remember if I have ever blogged about this. Sometimes when you have a blog for this long things start to blend together! What I do know is I have shared that I love Halloween. It is by far my favorite holiday. I'm not totally sure why but I think I love the idea of dressing up. When I do have the chance to do it...I try to go all out. I love handmade costumes and have worn many of them in my life. By far this is one of my favorites. I am 13 in this picture. I decided that I wanted to be a box of popcorn so together with my mom we got the idea to use to flats of soda cans and glue them together, cut a hole in the center so I could get my head through. Then we filled it with batting and glued popcorn to the top. My mom then covered it in red striped fabric and added the lettering on. I made the hat out of a plastic top hat and a ribbon cutter/curler. The girl is my neighbor...I have no idea what her name was. What I do remember is every other house we knocked at told us we were too old to be trick or treating. Seriously?! Do you see the effort put into this outfit! Plus...I was only 13! Granted I was probably 5'8" tall by then I still felt totally crushed.

It makes me wonder what is in store for Leyton. Will he like dressing up? Will he be tall like his mom and dad and be considered too old when he is still just a child? Will there even be trick or treating at that point or will it be too dangerous and we'll all just end up at the damn mall? Then again..our mall was just set on fire so perhaps that is a bad reference of safety.

What I do know is this. I don't think anyone is too old for trick or treating. If you are over 50 and want to spend time getting dressed up and knock on my door I will give you candy and tell you your costume is awesome. I'd rather that than the 10 year old who comes up to the door in the street clothes and a mask.

2 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

BRILLIANT costume you had :)

angela said...

beutiful blog...pls visit mine ande followerthanks and god bless
http://tenhoqueimadura.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails