Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Small Business Saturday

It's coming, I can feel it breathing down my neck like a smelly breathed dragon. This year I feel totally unprepared. I feel like I should be excited since I have a child to share it with...the truth of the matter is though, I am not. Yes Christmas, I am talking about you. Maybe it's because we aren't going anywhere for the holidays. Maybe it's because I typically have made a lot of gifts already and right now have nothing. Maybe it's because I don't even have any ideas of what to get people. Maybe it's because Leyton is young and my fear is that he is going to eat ornaments off the tree. Who knows really. All I know is it's coming and I can't get excited about it yet.

Then there is black Friday, which for me is made even blacker by the fact that I spend it looking at the inside of my eyelids instead of shopping at 3am. I tried it once, it was fun, but I never felt a strong need to go again. Plus, a couple years ago I started doing everything I could to support the handmade community and I started making or buying handmade. The first year it was about 50/50....last year it was about 80/20. Could I possibly make it to 100% this year?? I don't know, but I'm going to try.

So instead of Black Friday, I would rather participate in Small Business Saturday! American Express has started this event to encourage people to promote small businesses since it creates local jobs and more money goes back to the community. I'm not a big fan of American Express but I have to admit I love this idea. There are so many great small businesses now in Sacramento, many of which even sell handmade items. I plan on getting out there on Saturday to buy at least one thing to mark off my Christmas list! Otherwise I will never hit my 100% goal....do you think I can make it???

You too can join the Small Business Saturday movement by checking out the Facebook page! I was in no way paid or compensated by American Express, I just believe in shopping local and give them kudos for putting this together.

1 comment:

momma j lee ♥ said...

thats a great idea. im all about supporting small businesses & the community! pls post on what you find or buy! g'luck with the xmas list... i feel you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails