Monday, February 06, 2012

We made it.

Wednesday I got the call.  Well, actually a text.  Leyton had a fever and didn't seem to be feeling well.  I did what any mom does.  I went a picked him up.  I figured, get him home, throw on some jammies and give him some Motrin and he'd be fine.  Actually, he was.  He was until 5 1/2 hours later when the Motrin started wearing off and the fever spiked up to 104.

I panicked.  I posted questions on Facebook, I called Advice Nurses.  I ended up comforted knowing that a fever this high is no cause for alarm.  A fever of 106 however is so if it gets there, which it likely won't, then call immediately.  For now, just keep him hydrated and comfortable.  An appointment was set for Friday just to have a look over at him and make sure he didn't have an ear infection.

Thursday fevers continued.  Up and down between 100 and 104.  When down, Leyton was normal.  Too normal really.  He wanted to play, he wanted to go outside, he wanted to "go."  Then he would glaze over.  He'd start to whimper.  Within moments he'd be curled up and limp like a rag doll crying out Mommy.  The fever would be back and we would start the whole cycle over again.

Thursday night the fever hit 106.  The scary number.  I stayed on the phone with an Advice Nurse for 45 minutes while we watched the fever go down together.

On Friday we saw the doctor.  We ruled out bacterial infections, ear infections, RSV and the flu.  This left Roseola (Fifth's Disease.)  We wouldn't know until the fever breaks and a rash appears.  Oh and that fever might last for up to a week.

Fevers went up and down all Friday, hitting 105.2 in the evening.  Saturday the fevers never went past 102.5.  Saturday night I woke up with a cold clammy boy on top of me drenched in sweat.  The fevers were over.

No rash appeared...just a really stuffy nose.

I have no idea what my son had, all I know is it scared the shit out of me.  Being a mommy is a crazy emotional roller coaster ride that I may have not been prepared for, but I don't want to get off.  I don't know what made the fever come.  I don't know what made the fever go away.

When I was a little girl I had an Aunt, named Aunt Ila (although I don't even know if I'm spelling her name right.)  I didn't grow up in a religious household, but it wasn't anti-religion either.  One night Aunt Ila was babysitting me.  I was maybe 5 or 6 years old and she taught me the poem, "Now I lay me down to sleep."  She told me it was something I could say when going to bed, that it was a good time to talk to God about anything.

I've said that poem a million times.  I've asked for boys to fall in love with me.  I've asked to do well in school.  I've asked for help out of financial situations.  I've asked for pretty much everything.

On Saturday night when I went to bed with my boy I said that poem, in fact I said it aloud.  I asked for my God to look over my boy.  To make his fever go away.  To not let anything bad happen to him because without him I wouldn't be much of anything.  I told my God that I know I've asked for a lot, but all of those things have been material.  Things I could do myself.  I wouldn't make any promises that I'd never ask again for something.  Just said please look out for Leyton.

I'm not sure who my God is.  I just know that I feel a Thank You to my God is in order.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Poor baby, I'm glad he is felling better, that is pretty scary stuff I can't even imagine. You are such a good loving Mommy!

kevin21 said...

88pascher.com sac a main louis vuitton sac burberry sac chanel chaussures puma chaussures nike tee shirts louis vuitton chanel femmes tee shirts sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml

Morgan Saunders said...

I am glad your little babes is okay :( Not cool. Scary. But awesome breakthrough.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails