Friday, September 07, 2012

Monsters and Dinosaurs

Leyton has always been pretty good about going to bed.  We've had our moments, but for the most part we say goodnight and leave and he puts himself to sleep.  There were always key things that helped this situation: complete darkness and white noise/rain noise.  If there was ever any light in the room he would be completely distracted and would not fall asleep.  It also means he wakes up early in the morning because if his eyes open and there is light HE IS UP.

This week a situation has developed.  On the times when Leyton doesn't necessarily want to go to bed the hubs and I have always practiced the cry it out method.  I know this is touchy for everyone but it is what worked for us.  The other good part about it is I really learned the differences between Leyton's cries.  There is a huge difference between a fake/angry cry and a something is wrong cry.  I always respond to the something is wrong cries.

This week, the minute we walked out the door the something is wrong cries began.  They are typically hysterical right from the get go.  He typically is lying down when he does them (we have a video monitor which I think is key on the cry it out method).  What we have discovered is we believe he is scared.  When we go in the room he wants us to stay and hold his hand because there are monsters and dinosaurs.  So, we stay.

I'm not sure how to handle the scared issue.  Do I start doing a light in the room?  How do I best introduce it?  I'm afraid it is going to open up a whole other can of worms.  Have you experienced this scared phase???  What did you do?  HELP PLEASE!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails