Friday, January 04, 2013

Health Update

You thought I fell completely off the wagon didn't you and that I was just going to avoid talking about the elephant in the room?  Nope, not going to happen.  The holidays are over, my goal...to stay the same weight between Thanksgiving and New Years.  Did it happen?  Nope.  I'm up 3 pounds.  Am I freaked out about it?  Nope.  I know what I did to put on those three pounds and I know how quickly I can take it off.  And, while I did put on three pounds, I was not as unhealthy as I would have been.

I over-indulged for sure.  I ate more sugar that I should have and at times not as many whole foods as I should have.  The thing is, that is going to happen and it's important for me to realize that and to cut myself some slack sometimes.

So, first up...no more drinking.  I'm not a big drinker but lately I have too often enjoyed a drink.  It's time to cut that back out.  Also, get the sugar in check.  Thankfully there are not as many sweets lying around as there were a couple weeks ago so this will be easier to do.

One thing I am super super proud of...I have still had no soda.  When I gave up soda I knew I wanted that one thing to be forever.  I didn't want to have it ever again.  Oh at times that has been so hard.  I went to two movies this past week and wanted nothing more than to get a soda...but I didn't.  I got a giant water instead.

In February I'm going to do another system reboot.  I want to do that every three months.  It won't be for two full weeks, probably just a week this time.  I'm also still juicing and will start back on my morning juice tomorrow.  I really enjoy that as breakfast and it just sets such a good tone for the rest of the day.  Plus, Leyton has started drinking some of it too and lord knows that boy needs some veggies!!

Finally, I need to get back into the pool.  I took a break because I got a tattoo and couldn't swim for a while, but now it is time.  It's HARD to go back because it is so freaking cold right now and the pool is outside...eek.  No more excuses though.  The gym I go to also has a challenge that I might look into starting to give me more motivation to try some other things.  There is an orientation about it on the 10th.

So, there you go.  I'm 3 pounds heavier and it's not the end of the world.  Every minute I get a chance to make it better and the next minute just started now.

1 comment:

Alyce Green said...

Rock on girl! I not going to say "oh it's ok, 3lbs over the holidays is no big deal", cause I know too well how unhelpful that kind of enabling talk is. I'm proud of you for managing through the holidays without throwing up your hands. THAT is the big victory! I know that one of the revelations I have had this past year has been that I can walk away from a tough situation not feeling deprived, but empowered by the fact that the temptation came and went and I lived through it...and that every once in a while, when I overindulge, that very next moment is a blank slate and I get to choose again, I have not FAILED... Remember when you were talking about being terrified of food? God could I relate! For me, what gives me real optimism for maintaining this time is that I've now had several moments of indulgence, but been able to forgive myself and make a good choice directly following that. I used to be so terrified that once I slipped it was just a long slide to the bottom, that it was a cliff I was stepping off. But what I learned is that it is a stair case. I can choose to turn right back around, or take another step down; that is MY choice. Now I know that I don't have to be afraid! I feel like I can finally trust myself to acknowledge my weak moments, get over them, and even feel stronger from it. Liberating!! Sounds like you're finding that same strength and it makes me SO excited and proud for you :).

Here is to an amazing 2013!

~Alyce

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails